Old Mill Park, located in Longmont’s Historic Westside Neighborhood, is open for the 2017 season. The St. Vrain Historical Society (SVHS) manages this historic park located on land that was the former site of the City’s second flour mill. The Historical Society offers docent lead tours, event rentals of the property and Open Cabin Days, and the property is open to the public April through October from sunrise to sunset.
The original flour mill, operated by J.W. Denio, burned down in 1934, and the land was sold and replatted into city lots. Part of the mill and railroad site remained open, and they were donated by the Secor family to the St. Vrain Historical Society. The SVHS purchased the Townley House and a mini-park was created. Old Mill Park was dedicated August 1, 1976 for historical and educational purposes. Later purchases included adjoining properties on Pratt and Bross Streets. Each backyard was included in the park and some of the houses were retained as rental properties to help support the project.
Old Mill Park contains original buildings, plantings, and artifacts, and it has been designated a landmark by the City of Longmont, and it is also on the National Register of Historic Places. Currently, the Townley House (1871) guards the entrance to the park which houses the Affolter Cabin (1860), the Billings Cabin (1890), the Hauke Milk House (1860), the Gildner Gazebo (1916), and the Secor Centennial Gardens.
From June through October the Historical Society hosts Open Cabin Days at Old Mill Park (2017 dates listed below). Learn about life in the St. Vrain Valley back in the 1800s from experienced docents in period costume, see a working blacksmith, tour some of the original dwellings, learn about local wildlife and more! Pack a picnic dinner, and enjoy the beautiful scenery for a suggested donation of $5 per adult. For more information about Open Cabin Days, call the SVHS office at (303) 776-1870 or visit www.stvrainhistoricalsociety.com.
Old Mill Park is open to the public from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (or sunrise to sunset) daily during the spring and summer season unless reserved for private events. To help provide protection for the park, Old Mill Park is closed during the winter season. One-hour, docent-led tours can be scheduled from April through October for groups of up to 30 people. For information about tours and reservations, call the SVHS business office at (303) 776-1870.
Old Mill Park
237 Pratt Street
Open Daily from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. or Sunrise to Sunset
Old Mill Park Open Cabin Days 2017
Saturday, June 16: 2-5 p.m.
Sunday, July 16: 4-7 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 12: 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 16 (Laura Ingalls Wilder Day): 1-4 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 22: Noon-3 p.m.
Cover Photo Courtesy: Teresa A.S. Litman